Sunday, April 6, 2008

My Mom!!!

This photo is old and worn as you can see. It has been in my dad's wallet. (Thanks Karla)
16 years ago the world’s best mom earned her angle wing. I started the day feeling really down. I had a headache and felt very very alone. I felt like I was the only one that remembers what today was all about. My family and friends might remember that she died in April but not the exact date. I even had one family member surprised that it was in April she thought that it was in the fall. Anyway today is the day. Each year seems just as hard as the last. I am sad and quiet just thinking about my mom. I cry throughout the day. I remember a nurse at the hospital when mom was sick once told me that crying is our way of letting off steam like a tea kettle. If we don’t let it out we would explode. I guess I won’t be exploding today that’s for sure.

Here are some of the thoughts that I had going through my head today. I just wanted to share a little bit with everyone about my mother.
For a majority of my childhood my mother was a stay-at-home mom. All my friends called her mom. My mom grew to the full height of 4’ 11” inches……I know dad and a ½”, for a little lady she had a huge heart.

When I became a 6th grader I joined our church youth group. My parents became our youth leaders. My mom had some crazy ideas to keep us teenagers busy. One year as a fundraiser mom had us go thru our neighborhood knocking on doors. The first house we would say we are with the Custer United Methodist Church Youth Group and we are getting ready for Easter. Could you donate an egg to our cause? Some would donate one and some would donate a whole dozen. Then the next house we would say the same thing only we would ask them to buy our egg or eggs for a donation. I remember that everyone was receptive….they all knew my mom. I don’t remember what kind of money we made. I just remember we had such a fun time doing it.

Every year our youth group would go to convocation. It was a youth retreat at Central Washington University. We would go there for a three-day weekend and stay in the dorms. One year my mom brought a couple dozen bags of marshmallows. That night our floor had a marshmallow war in the halls. I remember laughing so hard I almost wet my pants. lol

My mom was one hell of a cook and baker. I picked up some of her baking skills, but not so much of her cooking skills. She always seemed to have enough food for anyone that just happened to stop by at dinnertime. I have no idea how she did it, but we never ran low. My cousin Galen called my mom “The Goddess of the Kitchen” I happen to agree. She could smell and spice and know it would go good with what she was cooking. Thanks to my Auntie Clara, fabulous piecrust recipe, she made pies that would just melt in your mouth. I am still trying to figure out her pumpkin pie recipe. She had a lot of secret ingredients she would use in recipes.

My mom also taught me the proper way to TP a house. She was the pro of pros when it came to doing the deed. lol On the day of her funeral my cousin Anita and I went out and TP’s a bush at each one of her friends. It was good therapy that day.
My mom could make anyone laugh. She was quick with a joke. My daughter Jordan reminds me of her, with her quick wit and humor.

My mom was always giving herself to anyone that needed help. She had a talent to make beautiful flower arrangements. She would offer her services to anyone that needed an arrangement at no charge. You bought the flowers she would arrange them. She did countless weddings for friends and family.

In March of 1991 mom was diagnosed with Large Cell Lymphoma. She went through six months of chemotherapy. After that she was in remission for two maybe three months. When the cancer came back it was throughout her entire body. The Dr’s tried hard to rid her body of it, but it was just too powerful.

As I grew up my mom was always there for me. Yes we did fight as any teenage girl does with their mother, but I knew I could always count on my mom. I was 22-years-old when my mom died. I was almost old enough to start the next stage in life that mothers and daughters go through where they become friends. I wish we had to chance to get to know each other on a whole different level. I loved and enjoyed my mother growing up. I know we would have been best friends as adults.

My daughter Jordan reminds me in so many ways of my mom. She has the same quick wit and humor like my mom. She has the same color eyes as my mom. It was predicted that Jordan would be lucky if she grew up to be 5’ tall. The Dr said and that would be on a good day, maybe it will be 4’ 11 and ½. I see my daughter being the little women like my mother with a huge heart too. I wish she had a chance to meet her
grandmother. My mom would have spoiled Jordan rotten with hugs, kisses and pure love.

My husband David never got the privilege of meeting my mom. I know that if they had ever met we would never stop laughing between the two of them. I also know we might not be safe from the jokes they would think up together. They would have been fighting for the last sarcastic word or last laugh. David also reminds me of my mom. When things get stressful and tense my mom would try to say something funny to lighten things up. That is David.

My Dad came through for me today. He called to see how I was doing. His call reminded me that I was not as alone today as I thought. He and I spent the afternoon together. We went and got some beautiful flowers and took them out to mom’s grave site. He held me while I cried. We both miss her very very much. Thanks Dad you really don’t know how much today meant to me.

Mom I know you are up there taking care of God’s children. I am sure you already know that you are still very much loved down. I miss you more than anyone will ever know. Thank you for being the greatest mom a girl could ever possibly have. I know that someday we will be together.

5 comments:

pysanki.blogspot.com said...

Sending hugs your way.

Steph :o) said...

Oh, buddy, I didn't know the date of your mom's death. Sending you a big hug.

Gberger said...

I don't think we have met, but we know your dad, Karla, Mandi and Sammie from living at Ronald McDonald House with them last year. What you wrote is beautiful. Any mother would love to hear her daughter say such things about her.

Our daughter, Katie, passed away in August at the age of 12 from cancer, and I miss her terribly. I wish I could do mom-things for her, and that we could have had more time to enjoy the kind of friendship that you wish you had time to develop with your mom. I would like to think that there are moms like yours around Katie, welcoming her (baking for her?), and being the kind of woman that you say your mom was.

It is beautiful that you and your dad can share your feelings with each other, so that you don't feel so alone in your grief and with your memories. God bless you as you remember your mother with so much love.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Oh girlie, this touched my heart. I am here for you if you ever need anything. I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle~ I am friends with Steph- and that is how I found your blog. My dad died when I was 20- and my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 3 years ago. She went through chemo and radiation- and every day I feared that she would be gone. They said she wouldn't make it- but God had other plans. :) Today- she is cancer free! Miracle! I went to Custer, Vista and FHS. You were 4 years older than me I think. Did you graduate in 89? I was class of 92. I would love to meet you offically sometime. Do you scrapbook? If so- have Steph bring you this Friday! :) Thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute to your mom. I can relate to so much of what you shared- except with my dad. Blessings, Kristie Hubbard