Saturday, September 13, 2008

Life can be messy..............

I know it has been a while since I have updated. I have tried several times to put in an update. This past Saturday I was working on a massive blog, hence the picture of the Canadian flag picture by itself. But life keeps getting in the way of the blog.
This is at the boarder crossing.

A thing I was going to blog about was my company’s annual golf tournament, up in Canada, that I won an MP3 player for hitting the longest drive for women. Which is cool since that was the second time in my life I had played a game of golf.

Dave lost a ball at just about every hole. lol It was not a good golf game for him that day. But we had a blast.

I was thing going to tell you all about our labor day weekend how we were invited to three BBQ’s in one day and how we made an appearance to all of them.

Then it was going to be about my good friend Kristen’s birthday party.



…….and then……..(movie buffs will get this one) I was going to tell you about the HUGE fire pit my husband built in our backyard. We had a wonderful evening of S’mores and friends.

The pit.

The two J's. Jay and Jordan being silly. I don't know how may Jay eat or burnt that night but he was having fun.

……and then………Jordan’s first day of middle school. She was so excited yet nervous to attend. She had a wonderful 1st day of school and seems to really be finding her groove. To top it all off her best friend Summer is in all her classes, but two. They are also locker buddies. I took them to get their toes done so that they could start off school on the right foot……get it right foot…..toes. lol I know at least I make myself laugh, well and Stephani too. Because I know she is laughing.

Here she is looking all grown up and nervous.

…….and then………Speaking of finding her groove at school Jordan has joined the gymnastics/dance team. At meets they do a tumbling routine and some group dances. She really seems to enjoy it.
This is the t-shirt she will wear for competition.

BUT…….there is always a but…….what stopped me from my huge massive blog was a trip to the ER with Jordan.

On Thursday she came down with your typical head cold. Nothing major or at least that is what I was hoping. Friday morning she woke me up at 4am requesting a nebulizer. A nebulizer is a way of getting asthma medication into the lungs quick. It last is a liquid that is put into a machine that dispenses a mist to breath deep into the lungs. I gave her one and started her on nebs every 6 hours for Friday. I keep her home for the day.

This is her getting a neb treatment at home.

I got a call from David at 3:30pm telling me she was getting worse. So I made the dreaded call to her asthma, Dr. Elkeym (El-ki-m). They put her on nebs every four-six hours along with a steroid pill and an antibiotic.

I started giving her nebs every five hours thru the night. We have a facemask that I can use and I set my alarm for every five hours. She usually sleeps thru them, which is nice. Saturday we started having to do them every four hours. Then as the day worn on she started to need them sooner and sooner. When it got to every two hours and she was gasping for breath I rushed her to the ER.

In the ER they gave her another breathing treatment and watcher her for a while. She would get the treatments and appear to be fine. She would be laughing and talking acting just fine. She was one monitor and her heart rate was really high, but that is normal for someone having so many breathing treatments. The meds make you shaking and can raise your heartbeat, nothing to worry about.

The ER Dr came in and said he had a new plan and was going to send her home. But before he did he wanted Jordan to do a peak flow. This is where you take a deep breath and do a quick hard breath into a little device. This is to measure the amount of O2 a person is moving in and out. On a normal healthy day she can blow a 300. The Dr. wanted her to do at least a 200 before they would let us go. She made it up to 180. Not good enough. So the nurse went to see what the Dr wanted us to do. That was when Jordan had another attack. So they gave her another neb treatment. It had only been an hour and a half since the last one. They waited and we tried the cycle again. Blow, 180, little while later another attacked. After the 3rd time they said they were going to admit her up to the peds floor for the night.

Talk about the longest night of my life. She continued needing treatments every 1 ½ to 2 hours. Her poor little heart was racing and it really scared her. She said she felt like her heart was going to jump out of her chest. I think we got three hours sleep that night.

Even though it was a long night we did try to make the best of it. This is Jordan glowing toe. It is a monitor to check her pulse-ox and heart rate. We had fun playing with the glowing toe in the dark.

Sunday she seemed a little better, but still not out of the woods. The Dr. came in and said he wanted to keep her another night. So we got settled into our stay at the hospital.

This was taken on Sunday during our many wheelchair trips around the floor. This was before the fever hit.

Jordan had a large room that if needed could take 3 patients. Since she was the only yes the only pediatric patient at the time there was no fear of her getting a roommate. So we took over the whole room. She got several visitors that day. Which we really appreciated having the company.

One of our visitors was the Zerbst family. This was a site and thank goodness we had a large room. If you had come by this is what you would have seen. David in Jordan’s bed and Erich in the parent bed next to him and they where watching the Seahawks game. Jay was over on the other parent bed in the room playing a video game. Our little Lily was on the floor playing. Stephani, Summer, Jordan and myself where sitting in the middle of the room playing Apples to Apples Jr. I think Jordan kicked up.

The Zerbst family left leaving Summer behind to stay with Jordan for a while. David left for his soccer game and since Summer was there to entertain Jordan I took a much needed nap. Thank you very much Summer and Stephani for that one thing. After an hour nap I felt a new women.

Then I got a call from David, which this was a surprise because I new he game shouldn’t have been over. He called to say he was going to the ER. Yes you read that correct the ER. He thought he might had broken his collarbone. UGH!!!! When it rains it pours.

I called some family in to sit with Jordan so that I could be with David in the ER. Thanks to Anita, Galen, Hilary and Justin. Also thanks to Steve who alos stayed with Jordan. Of course the ER was crazy busy. The allowed us to wait in Jordan’s room until it was David’s turn to be seen. It turned out to be just a rotator cuff tear. At the time we didn’t know if he would need surgery, but it seems to be healing nicely and he shouldn’t need surgery.

Monday Jordan woke up feeling terrible. Her breathing was doing much better but the virus she had was hitting her body hard. She was running a low grade fever of 99.6 enough to make her body hurt. She was a different girl from the day before. But since her breathing was good the Dr gave us the choice to stay in one more night or be discharged. We discussed it and since I had the equipment at home to care for her we decided to go home.

Tuesday was a tough day. She felt terrible and was very demanding. She kept saying sorry for keeping me so busy, but she didn’t know what she wanted because she felt so bad.

We had a follow-up visit with the asthma and allergist. Where they did a lung function test. Believe it or not she tested better then she had ever test. But that is what the steroids will do for you. It was a good sign. But she was still feeling awful, so the Dr got some blood drawn. I got a call with the results late last night. Everything looks good except for her potassium. It is on the high side. This can be caused by a number of factors, but they want to do another blood draw later today to make sure it is not continuing to rise. Please pray that it stays the same or has gone down.

I will update as soon as I know anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dog insurance
No other hotel in Arizona offers free pet-sitting. Become active in environmental actions that restore and protect natural animal habitats. Depending on the type of pet or animal you get or want to get, there may be specialized equipment and supplies required.