Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First day


Khoa has informed us that he would like for us to call him by his American name of Kenneth or Ken.

We had a great afternoon. Once David got home from work we headed into town to give blood. While we gave blood Ken and Marty, my mother-in-law, went to Kmart and got a few things. Then we went over to my dad’s house where Ken got to meet my dad, his wife Karla, and my two little sisters, Mandi and Samantha. Then it was home for dinner.

Dinner tonight was my dad’s special baked beans left over from the family reunion this last weekend. I also made French Dips. Ken seemed to like both the beans and the dips. He had several helpings of beans. Thanks dad you have one more fan of your famous baked beans. I was a little worried about what to make for Ken to eat. I have no idea what he likes to eat in Vietnam. He keeps telling me that he is not a picky eater. I was very happy to see him eat. It sounds like he is not afraid to at least try it before he says he doesn’t like it. That is not like a typical American kid or at least not my kid. I kind of like that about him.

After dinner the rep from the agency that we went thru to have Ken come stay with us came over for the first visit. She went over all the rules and what is expected of both Ken and us while he is here. Her name is Shelly. The picture above is of Shelly, Ken and I. For Ken’s family Shelly is the blonde.

After Shelly left our neighbor’s Dave and Michelle came over to meet Ken and to sit in the hot tub. We sat around the living room chatting while we waiting till the sun went down since Dave, the neighbor, whined about it being too hot to sit in the tub. LOL Then we all got in the tub. We had a good time teaching a little bit of American slang to Ken. Tonight Ken learned the following phrases….. What’s up Dawg? That’s Awesome!!! and my favorite word SWEET!!!!! Michelle commented jokingly that Ken was a nice kid and she hopes that my Dave doesn’t ruin him. For those of you that know Dave would understand that one. LOL

Ken is a very nice young man. He is very polite and always trying to help. He was so sweet with Marty tonight. He opened her car door and when he walked with her he helped her out. His parents should be very proud of him.

As far as his English he seems to be getting a little more comfortable with us and when we say something he doesn’t understand he will ask what we mean. I found out tonight he has been studying the English language for 7 years. I think that is great that he has done it. When I was in school you didn’t have to take a foreign language and when it was offered it was when I got into high school.

That’s it for our first full day together. Tomorrow Ken will get to meet his little sister. I am sure David will get lots of pictures.

4 comments:

Duy tan said...

I'm very happy to read the first full day together. I think tomorrow will be happier because Ken meets his sister Jordan. Thank you Michelle and everyone .
Tan

Anonymous said...

I had a great time last night! Can't wait to spend more time with Ken! Oh...and you guys too! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
I like the picture of 3 of you. Everybody looked happy. Ken did not look like he is going through jet lag at all. Probably excitement and adrenaline are pumping in him. Thanks for having him called me yesterday. You guys have a great time meeting Jordan today and enjoy her musical play at camp. Very glad to hear that Ken is open to new foods. I agree with you that food is a part of every culture that Ken should experience. I think it was great that Ken went along with you and Dave to the blood donation place. That's the great practice that Americans do. Thanks to the picture, I know how you look like now. Can't wait to see pictures of Jordan, Dave and the whole family.
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
My name is Romy. I am a cousin of Khoa's Mom. We live in Quebec, Canada.
I just read your blog. I am so happy for Khoa. He is so lucky to have your family as the host. He got a very warm welcome over there.
Please consider him as one of your boy, teach him not only English but also the way to become a nice person as you are.
His interesting journey is starting now!
I hope he will be a good boy while staying with you and make you proud and you will not regret inviting him staying in your house.
Romy