Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Oh what a feeling........

Tonight is the night that Khoa arrives. My neighbor, Michelle and I did the final touches on Khoa’s room. Yes my neighbor is named Michelle and if you can believe her husband’s name is Dave. While doing our landscaping this summer Andy, my father-in-law, has been making a path across the field between our two houses. He likes to say that is so Dave and Michelle can go to Dave and Michelle’s house. Lol Anyway Michelle and I put a dresser in Khoa’s room along with an MP3/CD Stereo for him to use this year. I hope he finds his room satisfactory and comfortable.

Doing all of this reminds me of my time as an exchange student. I was a junior in high school and got the chance to spend six weeks in Chengdu, China. I attending the high school there, the name was Middle School #3. I remember the flight over there was almost 30 hours. It was an incredible feeling of mixed emotions on the flight. I was excited about going and seeing something new. But I was scared because I was going to be on the other side of the world. I was feeling goofy from being on the plane for almost 30 hours with very little sleep. I was worried about the food and what kind of food they would try to feed me. I was nervous about the school and if I was going to make any friends. Lets not even mention the fact that I didn’t know a word of Chinese. I can tell you that my first couple of days I was a little homesick, but I did get settled into life in China and I had the time of my life while I was there. I have memories that will last a lifetime. I am hoping with my experiences, as an exchange student will help me be a better host mom to Khoa.

I still have a few final touches I would like to do on the general part of the house. I need to stop at the grocery store and have some food in the house. I have no idea what I should get for food. I keep telling myself that he is here to experience America and food is part of that experience. I also remember my first couple of weeks in China I didn’t eat much. I would hate for Khoa to be starving his first couple of weeks. He may also not be as picky of eater as I was when I was his age. I am still somewhat of a picky eater, but I am much better then I was when I was 17. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Teach Khoa is first slang expression……We will play it by ear.

I plan on taking pictures of Khoa’s arrival I hope to get them up on the web site sometime tomorrow. I might have to wait until David gets home from work. I need him to teach me how to get them from the camera to the computer then ready to post in the site. You would think I would know how to do it by now, but having a photographer as a husband I just take advantage of him and have him to do it for me.

That's it for now I will keep you posted.

No comments: