Sunday, September 2, 2007

BBQ and more

It has been a busy week. Getting the kids ready for school and my last week at my job. For those of you that may have not heard I have quit Mustang Survival and going back into the medical field. I did not go out looking for a new job my friend Michelle encouraged me to apply at Regence Medical Insurance. (Thank you very much Michelle) She felt with my medical experience and my customer service experience would be a good fit for Regence. I loved working for Mustang the girls there are great and it is a good company. But Regence had a bit more to offer me. The big thing was a better chance for advancement, 401 K with matching and a pension plan. Financially it was much better. I have also gotten to know a few of the girls that work there and they are very sweet and I know we will be friends. That is what I missed the most about the hospital is the friends I made. We did a lot of stuff together outside of work. Including a girl’s trip to Vegas. That was a blast. Sorry no stories from that trip…..remember what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. LOL Right Sara!!!!

Another thing we did was plan a last minute BBQ for this weekend. It was in honor of Ken’s arrival. He has been here almost two weeks. We invited family, friends and neighbors. It was very successful. At one point our deck was completely full of people with a couple down on our patio, and a majority of the kids over playing on the swings. At first I thought we would have to squeeze everybody into the house. The wind had picked up in the beginning and it was cold. But after about 30 min. it stopped and the rest of the night was perfect. We had lots and lots of good food. Then Karla, my dad’s wife, made homemade apple pie. It was delicious. I can’t remember the last time I had homemade apple pie….my favorite. I think I had a chance to talk to everyone at the party. It was lots of fun and lots of laughing.

Ken seemed to have lots of fun. When he arrived here two weeks his English was very good, but we sometimes had to either talk slower or explain it a bit. He has improved a lot since he got here.

Last week we meet with Ken’s counslor again to talk about his classes. We rearranged them again and got him out of the ESL English class and into a regular English class. Ken had with him a transcript from his last school. Once we figure out a couple of things he might be able to graduate at the end of the year. We are really hoping it works. In the mean time Ken has arranged to take the SATs this fall. He is thinking about coming back to attend a University next year. He doesn’t know for sure but he wants to be prepared either way. We will know more after Tuesday. David and Ken have another appointment with the counselor. I really hope it works out for him.

Today Ken is in Seattle with his Aunt Melanie and her boy friend Darren. They are visiting from San Francisco. The last time that Melanie saw Ken was when he was a little baby. So this is a special visit for the both of them. Ken has text me a couple of times today telling me he is having fun.

In the short time that Ken has been here I have come to care for him very much. I love the fact that he calls me mom. He is a very sweet and kind. He and Jordan are still trying to find their place with each other, but seem to be getting along. I leave a small list of chores for them to do. And example would be to empty the dishwasher, do their laundry and clean the bathroom they share. From what Marty tells me they do it together. An example would be Jordan will pull all the dishes out of the dishwasher and stack them together and Ken will put them up in the cupboard. I hope they will continue working together as time goes by.

Well tomorrow we might try to take Ken crabbing. It is the last day in our area to go. We will be spending the time with our friends Stephani and Erich and their kids. It should be fun. I am sure we will have some good stories from that adventure.

That’s it for now. I will try to bog not leave such a big time frame between my blogs.

3 comments:

Steph :o) said...

Dude! You've got a new post! WOO HOO! We're all looking forward to crabbing tomorrow. Hope it doesn't rain!

THANK YOU for inviting us to Ken's "welcome" BBQ. He is a great guy, and we look forward to getting to know him better.

Anonymous said...

Hello Michelle, Dave & Jordan

Thanks very much for your hospitality. It was such a great pleasure for Darren and I to meet your family and friends. It was fun to spend some time crabbing, sighseeing, and then having fish & chips (without beers) on Labor Day. Darren & I had a great time with Ken in Seattle. Sweet boy! I was a bit disappointed that we didn't make it to "Ride the Ducks" in Seattle. However, Ken & I had the experience riding the elevator up to the Space Needle to see Seattle from 520' above the ground. All 3 of us took monorail to Westlake Center then walked to Pike Place Market. That was fun, but a little scared when we were stuck in the monorail on the way back. Boy, it was kind of stuffy & hot in there. Ken got along with Darren very quickly, and Darren said he likes Ken too. Ken asked me to go to Vietnam with him next summer and of course, he wanted Darren to come as well. It was funny that he said to Darren "Go to Vietnam to visit.... there are lots of pretty girls there", Darren & I cracked up. I told Ken that I was wondering whose nephew he is?? Mine or Darren's ??? "Trader!" I said.

I am so pleased to see Ken has become very comfortable with your family & friends. ALL OF YOU have made him feel at home with your warm and caring ways. I saw the compatibility between your family & Ken, and I'm grateful for that.

It was cloudy with scattered rains along our drive back to Seattle airport yesterday. Darren & I got back to San Francisco last night without any traveling issues.

Thanks again for having us and everything you've done to help Ken so far. I hope he will stay focus in his study and be able to graduate high school with a diploma here. I believe Ken's parents and our family are eternally grateful for your assist and guidance to Ken.

Please give me a call whenever you plan to visit San Francisco. Send my best regards to Marty and Andy. Sorry that we didn't get the chance to meet Michelle's Dad and his family. Good luck on your new job Michelle!

Best wishes!

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Do you miss us yet? We miss you!