Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Grandma.......

Today is Sunday and I usually like to have all my chores done and everything ready to start the week on Monday. Yesterday we cleaned the house and while the kids where at dinner David and I got our grocery shopping done for the week. It was a good thing we did all of that because today I am just not feeling up to doing much of anything. This morning we got bad news. My Grandma, Edith Brown died last night. She lived a long life and I know she is in a better place, but that just doesn’t make it any easier on my heart.

My Grandma was the best grandma in the world. I know every kid thinks that of their grandparents, but let me tell you why I thought she was the best. In my eyes I was grandma’s favorite. Please note that I said in my eyes. She had six kids that loved her very much. Those six kids gave her 25 grandkids. Yes that is right there are 25 of us grandkids. I had to get out a piece of paper and try to remember everyone. I even had to call my dad to make sure that I didn’t leave anyone out of the count. I guess it would not be fair for me to say that I was her favorite when she had so many grandkids, but that was the kind of grandma she was she always made you feel special.

My first memory of grandma was when I was about two or three. I know it is hard to think that I have a memory from that far back, but I can honestly say I do. I remember I used to call her big grandma. I know what woman loves to hear the work big in front of their name. I have been told that she was not happy about that one. But you see at 5 feet she was the taller of my two grandmas’. lol Now you know where I get my height. Yes at 5 feet she was taller then my other grandma aka little grandma. Even though little grandma out weighed big grandma by a lot. When you’re a toddler you don’t look at weight you look at height. Shortly after Little Grandma died, the Big fell off the title. She was then just Grandma.

I have many wonderful memories of grandma. I remember many many Christmas’ and Thanksgivings together. All of us grandkids running around annoying our parents. Each of these holiday gatherings would be at Grandma’s house. She would always have a big candy dish out with nuts and chocolate waiting for us to get our holiday sugar high. I remember all the women in the kitchen fixing the food, the men in the living room watching some football game. Grandma would always have crayons and coloring books in hopes of keeping us kids occupied. That worked for about 10 mins. Then we would be running around again. As we got older it still didn’t change much. The only thing that did change was Grandma’s house. It was still the women in fixing the food, then men watching football and us kids on Grandma’s waterbed watching a movie. Thinking back I wonder how we all fit into her little house. I want to say it would grow with love, but that is just a little corny…..lol but I did say it.

Another memory I have is our family vacation down to California to visit my grandma’s brother and family. They lived in Garden Grove, CA. I was 12 years old and we drove down. It was mom, dad, grandma and I. We had a Mazda, 323 that we drove down. Right before we left my dad got a cassette installed in the car. They then made the mistake of letting me choose a cassette of my own. Hey dad do you remember the Go-Go’s? That was their first album release and my first every cassette. (humming) “We got the beat, we got the beat, yeah we got it!” lol I know my parents and grandma didn’t look forward to when it was time for my cassettes turn. Don’t worry dad I am getting pay back with the Cheetah Girls as I write this blog. I had fun on that vacation. Once again grandma was the best. She would play with me in the back of that tiny car. When I get tired she would let me lay my head down in her lap to nap and rub my head until I fell asleep. I am sure just to get some relief from me asking when it was time for my turn on the cassette.

Another memory I have is when I was about 11 or 12 and I was riding with grandma after school one day and she got a speeding ticket. She was just modified that she had gotten the ticket. I of course went back to school the next day and bragged that my grandma got a speeding ticket. I thought it was so cool and funny. You just don’t picture your grandma getting a speeding ticket.

I also remember she was worked very hard. She worked at the Horseshoe Restaurant in downtown Bellingham. She worked there for about 40+ years. She retired from there twice. Once when she was in her sixties and then again when she was 80. She wasn’t one to sit around.

This morning when my dad’s wife Karla called and told me the news at first it didn’t really hit me, but then I started to cry. Which is a normal reaction to getting news that a loved one has left our world. But what really made it hurt for me was knowing my dad and just lost his mother. Yes she was my grandmother, but this was his mom. No matter how old you are it is still not easy losing a parent. It really hurts losing Grandma, but I know she is in a better place. I know she is happy and healthy where she is at right now. I know that she was welcomed with open arms by my mom. I even told my cousin Anita that I bet my mom is throwing a big party for grandma. Telling her it is about time she got there. But what really breaks my heart is my dad. I know what it is like to lose your mom and I know it not easy. My dad has had a tough and very emotional year. I wish I could just take all the pain away and make it all easier on him. Dad if your reading this I love you with all my heart and I am so very sorry you lost your mother today.

Once again an experience in my life has taught me not to take things for granted. To my Grandma……Grandma I sorry I didn’t come a visit you more. Please know that you will always have a very special place in my heart. I will share your memory as much as I can. I love you and will miss you very much.

To see photos of my Grandma please check out Karla's blog site at http://pysanki.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Steph :o) said...

Awwww! I'm sorry for your loss, my friend! :o( *hug* Thank you for telling us all about your grandma and your favorite memories of her.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry for you and for my disability at doing anything for you at this time. I know it's really hard for you to spend this time because I did lose my both grandpa and grandma who i love the most and had a lot memories with them. I can understand so well why you feel sorry for your dad because I also felt that when seeing my mom cry in the my grandpa's funeral 6 months ago. Your entry is really touching. It made me reveal my memories of my family in Vietnam a lot. I can felt my heart painful when reading your entry, honestly, maybe i did have all your feeling. I love you mom. Whenever you want, i will give you a big hug!

Anonymous said...

Im sorry if I made any grammar mistakes in writing. lol

pysanki.blogspot.com said...

That is a nice tribute. Your Dad feels bad too...about not visiting more, but I whole heartedly believe that Grandma Brown would understand and wouldn't want you to feel bad.

I posted some photos on my blog.

Sending you hugs. Karla